How to Activate Office Pre-installed copies of Office may come with a product key, or it will activate over the Internet with no product key being required. If the product key is not required, please note that this is a limited time offer and expires six months after you activate Windows. The expiry date will be shown as below
To find out if you need a product key, please follow these steps below:
- On Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, choose Start.
- Scroll down through your apps and choose Microsoft Office– the tile with the Office logo.
- In the window that opens, choose Activate.
- Do one of the following:
- If you are asked to sign in with your Microsoft account, that means you do not need a product key. Proceed to the next step below and enter your Microsoft Account.
– OR –
- If you are asked to enter a product key, this means a key was included with your purchase. Look for it on your Certificate of Authenticityor a card in the packaging. If you cannot find it, contact your reseller. The key uses a combination of 25 letters and numbers
- Enter your key in the space provided.
- Sign in with your Microsoft account to activate the Office product that came with your device. You need to be connected to the Internet to activate the Office product. If you are connected to the Internet and see the below error message. Click the Help button to run the Network Troubleshooter This tool will assist in determining the cause of your Internet connectivity issues
Follow the steps below in order to activate your pre-installed Office
From the Start menu, click on an Office application icon
- As your Office application opens for the first time, a window will open indicating that Office is included with your PC. Click the Activate button to start the activation process.
- If you are not currently signed into your Microsoft Account (MSA), you will see the screen shown in Figure 2. Sign into your MSA to proceed, or click the link to create an MSA if you don’t have one.
- If you are signed into your MSA, skip to step 4.
- On the Confirm your Account prompt, click Continue to register Office to the account shown, or Change to select a different account.
- Select your Country and Language preferences and click next.
- If you have multiple Office product keys tied to your MSA, they will be listed in the Choose your Product window. Select the one on top and click Continue to activate Office
- Click Accept to begin downloading Office updates.
- In Word, go to File > Account and locate Office Updates under Product Information. DO NOT CLICK Activate Product at this point. Instead, click the Update Options button and select Update Now
The program will check for additional updates. Once it has finished, go back to go to File > Account and check under Product Information to see if the product has successfully activated, office for mac activation